An entrepreneur of 16 years, Erin Pheil is the founder of The MindFix Group and THE to go-to expert for entrepreneurs and high achievers who want to rapidly and permanently eliminate the mental roadblocks holding them back from achieving the success they KNOW they're capable of. Click Here to Tweet to Erin & Nicole
How to reset your mindset with Erin Pheil of Mind FixAs entrepreneurs going through our busy days, we often run into mindset . . . stuff to put it mildly. Moods, mental roadblocks, frustrations, self-doubt; little hiccups and things that just aren’t supposed to happen. And we get triggered. You probably know the feelings: frustration, anger, anxiety, sadness, fear. All things that can easily derail you if you don’t know how to handle these emotions on the spot. Because the fact remains, we run businesses and we have to keep going. No serious entrepreneur can just go, ‘You know what, I'm just going to call it a day again, I'm done. I just, I can't deal with this. I'm too angry.’ Or at least we can’t if we ever hope to get anywhere with our business. That’s why the tools Erin Pheil of Mind Fix teaches her clients are so powerful. They’re easy “tricks” to keep in your back pocket for when you get triggered or overrun with an emotion, and need to get back to calm . . . fast. So you can get on with your day and your work without being pulled off course. The two techniques Erin teaches below are effective, powerful ways to bring yourself back to a more balanced mental state in just 90 seconds or less. Yes, you read that right. Intrigued? Read on to learn these techniques for yourself and put them into practice today.
How to get unstuck with two simple techniquesBefore we begin it’s important to note that Erin will be the first to tell you these techniques are quick fixes. She herself describes them as “bandaid” approaches. However, that’s what they’re meant to be. These tactics are a simple, yet elegant tool for you to add to your mindset “toolbox” that you can pull out anytime you need to get through negative thoughts and emotions quickly so you can move on and be productive. If you would like further help and support to get at the root causes of your thoughts and emotions, visit Erin’s website at MindFixGoup.com.
What do you do if you have a mental block?What do you do when you’re triggered and come up against a mental block? If you’re like most people you ruminate. You become obsessed with the issue in your mind and begin telling yourself a “story.”
- “This always happens to me!”
- “I can’t believe they did that . . .”
- “Nothing I do ever works. Like that time I . . .”
Mindset reset technique number oneSo how do we do this? Erin calls this first technique “The 90 Second and It’s Gone Tactic.” Here’s how it works:
- First, notice you’re telling a story and note what emotions you’re feeling. Put a name to them and acknowledge them.
- Next, bring your focus to something else nearby: a tree out the window, a picture of something pleasant; anything but your story.
- For the next 90 seconds (put on a timer) do not allow yourself to run through your story and the negative thoughts in your mind. Fully focus on something else.
Mindset reset technique number twoThe second technique goes a bit deeper and is for those who need something more powerful in order to distract and stop their negative thought processes. It’s often used with people who have severe anxiety or panic attacks. Erin describes it as, “Really basic and really kind of boring,” but it works because all it does is harnesses your attention and point it onto something else. If you struggle with meditation and get distracted back to your negative thoughts easily, this technique keeps you from mentally rehearsing your story in a very focused way. Here’s how to do it:
- Sit in your chair and focus on any object in the room. Put the object in front of you or just look at it.
- Name your emotion and rate it’s emotional intensity from 1-10 (10 being maximum intensity).
- For the next 60 seconds (pull up a timer), sit and describe outloud whatever object you've chosen using whatever descriptive words come to mind: color, shape, size, location, details, etc.
- When your 60 seconds is up, rate your your emotion again.
- If the emotional intensity still hasn’t lowered enough, do the process again as many times as you need.
So do I just keep doing these techniques forever?Despite how easy these techniques are, some people feel doing them over and over again are a hassle. But as Erin explains, when it comes to negative thoughts and emotions you have one of three choices:
- Not deal with it and allow it derail your productivity and flow.
- Work through it fast using these techniques and be on your way quickly and easily.
- Do the deeper inner work to get at the root cause so the mental block doesn’t keep coming up.
- Use the “90 Seconds and It’s Gone” technique whenever you feel negative thoughts and emotions that threaten to derail you.
- Remember that taking the time to address your emotional reactions is always better than allowing them to throw you off course.
- To truly eliminate the negative “stories” you tell yourself, you must get to the root cause.
- Know that you can overcome the things that are keeping you stuck!