Jason Hsiao is the co-founder and Chief Video Officer of Animoto, an award-winning online video maker that makes it easy for anyone to create professional-quality marketing videos, even if they have no technical skills and have never created a video before. With the mission of empowering everyone to create powerful videos regardless of age or experience, Jason founded Animotowith his high school and Dartmouth College friends back in 2006. Animoto’s certified partnerships with Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and the Small Business Administration give it unique insight into the changing social media and business landscape — which may be why more than 1-million businesses around the world are already using Animoto to create marketing videos. Prior to founding Animoto, Jason was a producer for MTV Networks and Comedy Central. Click Here to Tweet to Jason & Nicole
How to easily make videos with AnimotoIt’s 2019 and by now it’s pretty obvious that social media videos are here to stay. As Jason Hsiao from the video editing software Animoto explains, “We’re living in a video first world. It’s everywhere — people want videos.” Whether you’re a online hobbyist with a side hustle or a sprawling enterprise company, having a video marketing strategy is a must these days. Even if you’ve never created a video before, there’s no reason to feel intimidated. Video editing software like Animoto makes creating high quality, professional videos drag and drop easy (really). Is Animoto right for you? Here we take a behind the scenes tour and tutorial of the software with creator Jason Hsiao. To view this tour on well . . . video, be sure to watch the interview above.
Why your business needs to include video marketing for social mediaAlthough various different social platforms have come in and out of Vogue, video has only grown in importance, it’s literally everywhere; people want videos and they love to share videos. But if you’ve never created even a simple one minute video for your marketing strategy before, it can seem like an intimidating process — that's where Animoto comes in. Jason and his team at Animoto know what actually makes for successful video marketing on social media, and they know busy entrepreneurs don’t always have the time to learn a new software. Their aim is to help people cut right to the chase and do what works. That’s why with Animoto you can easily have a video ready to share within minutes — yes, it’s really that easy! In addition, you can also use Animoto video editing on android or ios, perfect for quickly creating videos on the go. It’s important to remember that videos are not a one and done social media marketing technique you check off your list. It's a form of communication, where we’re able to speak with our audience regularly, just like any other form of content.
Why video marketing for social media is drag and drop easy with AnimotoAnimoto provides pre-made templates called “storyboards.” This is actually one of the best values of Animoto for folks that either don't know where to start or just need some inspiration. There are literally all sorts of different types of videos Animoto has analyzed to determine what makes for successful video. All you have to do is open them right up and start, dragging and dropping your own content in to immediately start making your own video. You literally cannot mess this up even if you have zero experience! Whether it's a company overview or how to a product demo, interview, testimonial, an event, recap, an announcement, a blog teaser, a newsletter, Animoto enables you to create it. The sky's the limit!
Built-in features of the Animoto video editing software
- Storyboard templates
- Drag and drop functionality — easily add in or duplicate image or video blocks and move wherever you wish
- Easily change the aspect ratio (square or rectangular)
- Add your own logo and branding
- Customize colors and fonts
- Drag to position the text overlay on the screen
- Preview your video as you go
- Photo templates for collage slides
- Professional animation (fade, zoom, slide, etc)
- 1,000s of commercially licensed soundtracks for you to use organized by categories and “moods”
- Royalty free stock photos from Getty Images — simply search for whatever type of pic you need
- Record voice over
- Unlimited video length
Social media video tips to help you get the most out of Animoto
Video marketing for every social media platformNot sure where or how to post your videos for best results? Jason shares a few simple guidelines to follow:
- Facebook is still king. No matter what your business type, Facebook is the place to be.
- Instagram for visual businesses. Although not as big as Facebook yet, Instagram is the fastest growing platform and an ideal place for more visual businesses.
- YouTube for longer, educational videos. YouTube is not only a search engine but people on YouTube are ready to dig and learn — use this to your advantage!
- LinkedIn for B2B. Surprised? LinkedIn continues to grow in it’s use of videos, the perfect platform for B2B.
How long should a social media video be?How you create your videos will depend on the social media platform you plan to promote it on. Here are a few simple tips to determining the right video length.
- Facebook and Instagram – Think quick and to the point. People on FaceBook are quickly strolling by, so a simple, compelling video of one minute or less is ideal.
- YouTube and LinkedIn– Perfect for longer tutorial and educational type videos of 5 or more minutes.
Why you don’t have to actually be in the videoCamera shy? That’s ok. With Animoto’s extensive library of images and soundtracks, it’s super easy to create professional videos without every getting in front of the camera. And if you do get brave enough to jump into a video, Jason reminds us that it’s ok to show up a little imperfect. People are really craving that kind of authentic and genuine human side of marketing. There's so much information and misinformation out there, that whatever you can do to make your videos or your marketing in general more human, people are really gravitating towards that. Be yourself and have fun!
How to repurpose popular content into video formWith the seemingly endless possibilities of Animoto, it may feel a bit overwhelming. Where should you even begin? Jason recommends starting with where you already are. Do you have a piece of content, a blog post for example, that already does really well and resonates with your audience? Take the main points of that content and the images you used in your post to create a video. There’s no need to go out and spend an inordinate amount of time or money shooting new videos. It’s ok to keep it simple when you’re first starting out. Here a few ways to repurpose content into video form:
- Your about me page – Create a personal video introducing yourself.
- You FAQs page
- Any type of information you find yourself continually repeating to your audience over and over
- Questions your audience asks you
- Popular blog posts or newsletters
- Teaser for an upcoming podcast or blog post
- Whether you’re a solopreneur or large company, having a video marketing strategy is a must
- Animoto makes it easy for even the novice to create gorgeous, professional videos with their drag and drop functionality
- To get started, repurpose your popular content into video form